Property Division


Each state approaches property division differently. In Massachusetts, property and assets are divided according to the law of "equitable distribution." This means that each party is awarded property and assets in an equal and fair manner, but not necessarily 50-50. While the courts are guided by this law, it is possible to pursue the property to which you believe you are entitled during a divorce. Attorney Brian D. Roman, an experienced Attleboro property division lawyer, can help.

Need more information about how property and assets may be divided in your specific situation? Contact Attleboro property division lawyer Brian D. Roman today to schedule a consultation.

Property And Assets Subject To Division

There is a wide range of types of property and assets that are subject to division during the divorce process, including:

  • Primary residences
  • Vacation homes
  • Real property
  • Personal property
  • Bank accounts
  • Retirement accounts (including 401(k)s and IRAs)
  • Stock options and employee benefits
  • Offshore accounts

Any property and assets that were acquired during the course of the marriage are considered marital property and are subject to division. Separate property may not be divided, though parties may argue over whether or not they were actually separate. Any property protected by a prenuptial agreement stays with the individual parties.

Protecting Your Rights And Property

Though it may be possible to divide property after a divorce through a divorce modification, this is an unusual situation. It is more likely that you will be expected to abide by the provisions and asset allocation that is set forth in your divorce decree. This is why it is so essential to have an attorney on your side who fully understands your needs, goals and the laws that govern the division of property.

Mr. Roman has more than two decades of experience handling all aspects of divorce and family law, including property division. His insight into these cases can be beneficial to you, providing you with a straightforward and realistic view of how a property settlement may be presented or negotiated, or how a judge may award property if the divorce proceeds to court.

Contact A Wrentham Equitable Division Lawyer

To explore your options for obtaining a child support, child custody or other type of post-divorce modification, contact Mr. Roman today and schedule a consultation. Call his Attleboro office at 508-669-5554.